A results-driven Quality and Food Safety leader
Willing to relocate: Anywhere
May 2016 to Present
A results-driven Quality and Food Safety leader with over 20+ years of hands-on, progressive experience managing production and quality assurance programs to achieve the highest quality product. Proven ability to adapt, improve and embrace new opportunities while maintaining the flexibility to make difficult decisions to protect the Brand and guarantee Food Safety. Uniquely experienced with the development, implementation and maintenance of quality systems in compliance with 3rd party Food Safety schemes, approved SOPs, cGMPs and domestic and international regulatory requirements.
PROFESSIONAL CAREER EXPERIENCES
SUBWAY – Franchise World Headquarters, Milford, Connecticut May 2016 – Present
Largest Quick Service Restaurant Company in the World
May 2016 to Present
• Direct a QA team of 8 to ensure product quality compliance for over 400 suppliers in support of Brand gold standards.
• Responsible for all product commercialization for Subway restaurants in North America.
• Personally managed the bread, soup, seafood and breakfast product categories for the Brand.
• Manage the national roll-out of multiple product launches to 37,000 restaurants.
• Establish cross-functional relationships with Franchisee’s, Development Agents and Field Consultants as the “face” of QA in support of Brand Initiatives.
• Co-partnering a unified approach to integrate Independent Purchasing Cooperative (IPC) and Subway R&D to ensure speed to market.
• Champion all Animal Welfare concerns for the Brand to align with Corporate Social Responsibility position.
September 2011 to May 2016
• Led Enterprise wide GS1 Foodservice initiative for bar-coding traceability from manufacturer to restaurant.
• Worked with individual suppliers on the preparation and implementation of new GFSI standards in achieving approval status for the DineEquity system for their proprietary/exclusive products.
• Managed retail commercialization projects to include labeling standards and protocol for IHOP branded breakfast items.
• Managed approval and maintenance of over 300 manufacturer facilities, 40 mainline & 110 produce distributors servicing more than 3600 restaurants.
• Developed, designed and implemented internal Quality Management System.
• Managed Product Monitoring Program for proprietary and exclusive products to verify conformance to specifications.
• Championed all Animal Welfare concerns for the Brands with $800M spend as fully certified Professional Animal Auditor Certification Organization, Inc. (PAACO) Auditor for beef, pork and poultry commodities.
• Initiated and manage a Transportation Audit to ensure proper delivery of food items by Distributors.
• Participated and assisted Culinary and Consumer Insight teams with consumer panels for new products prior to testing.
• Coordinated and managed the company’s cold chain compliance program for beef, pork, poultry and seafood products between the suppliers and distribution network.
• Managed the approval of suppliers and distributors for a comprehensive National Produce Program.
April 2010 to May 2016
Parent company for Applebee’s and IHOP restaurants.
April 2010 to September 2011
• Approved new suppliers for IHOP retail products by assessing Quality Systems and physical facility conditions.
• Tracked the DineEquity New Supplier Approval process to ensure suppliers are assessed against required standards.
• Managed 3rd party audit program and Animal Welfare audits for all suppliers in the DineEquity system.
• Assessed supplier and distributor performance and input results into an overall vendor scorecard.
• Managed temporary and contract employees responsible for product auditing program in compliance to specifications.
• Inspected and audited supplier facilities in compliance to DineEquity standards and expectations.
• Identified food safety opportunities and GMP enhancements in order to gain and maintain approval status into the DiinEquity system for suppliers, mainline and produce distributors.
April 2008 to December 2009
Kansas City, Kansas April 2008 – December 2009
Bakery producing soft rolls for 630 McDonald’s restaurants in Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska.
Quality Assurance Manager
• Improved parameters for measuring production processes by overhauling Statistical Process Controls (SPC) program.
• Participated and certified in sensory evaluations in conjunction with McDonalds Global Quality Systems team.
• Responsible for a comprehensive HACCP system, effective Sensory Evaluation program, Good Manufacturing Practices, Recall/Traceability program and Net Weight Control program through Statistical Process Control.
• Designed material and trained employees on product quality, food safety, SOPs and methods used to comply with established Good Manufacturing Practices.
• Coordinated the commercialization of the Angus bun from inception to system rollout, implementation, ingredient statements and labeling protocols.
• Attended quarterly sensory product evaluations of all bakeries in the system to assess the customer’s delivered product.
• Conducted field service visits in a Customer Service capacity to discuss product training opportunities.
2006 to 2008
• Designed/produced instructional video demonstrating proper techniques for packaging customer products to achieve a better overall customer experience.
• Trained third party distribution centers on the required packaging techniques for customer orders.
• Inspected products received from manufacturer to ensure quality products were distributed to the customers.
• Assisted in training non-English speaking employees with and aggressive hands-on approach.
Bachelor of Science in Biology in Food Science
SKILLS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Serv-Safe Certification American Institute of Baking Principles of Inspecting & Auditing Food Defense Coordinator Certification Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points Certification
PAACO for both Meat and Poultry – Current