Design Engineer, CAD Specialist, Estimator, Engineering Lead – Pentair Thermal Management / Tracer Construction
Baton Rouge, LA
* Analytically and mechanically minded with the ability to communicate clearly, learn quickly, think critically, and work efficiently with minimal guidance or supervision.
* Over two years of experience engineering heat tracing systems for U.S. Industrial plants.
* Currently serving as engineering lead during the ongoing $717 million dollar Shell Geismar AO-4 Tiger project.
* Strong team skills, working closely with others daily to develop engineering solutions and training new hires.
* Highly innovative, constantly evaluating and inventing new tools and improving current methods to boost productivity as an individual and as a team.
* Extensive Microsoft Office experience. Invented and developed Excel / VBA based engineering and estimating tools.
* Excellent jobsite people and safety skills learned through experience working as a piping fabricator, automotive mechanic, and in my recent years as working as an engineering lead in industrial plants.
* One year of experience in mechanical design and manufacturing at Welding Specialty Services developing concept designs and production drawings using modern 3D modeling software.
Willing to relocate: Anywhere
Authorized to work in the US for any employer
March 2015 to Present
Engineering Software Developer
* Design engineering of industrial electric heat tracing systems:
◦ Designed both freeze protection and process temperature maintenance systems for process piping, vessels, pumps, strainers, PSV’s, and instrumentation using proprietary 3D modeling design software.
◦ Conducted detailed analysis of piping isometrics and P&ID’s to determine system heating requirements as well as sensor and component placement.
* CAD drawing creation and modification:
◦ Creation, modification, and check printing of heat tracing isometrics, instrument schedules, panel schedules, and other engineering deliverables using AutoCAD, Microsoft Excel, and Bluebeam Revu.
◦ Conducted peer reviews and error checking to insure sound design and quality of heat trace isometrics.
* Creation and development of engineering tools and software which have been adopted department wide:
◦ Invented and developed highly efficient Visual Basic based panel schedule creation and power distribution tools across AutoCAD and Excel platforms which are vastly superior to previous methods reducing required man hours by as much as 400% while producing a better end product for customers.
◦ Created AutoCAD tools used to extract, edit, and write information to many CAD drawings at once.
◦ Created project tracking database in Microsoft Access.
* Engineering Lead Activities:
◦ Represented Pentair in numerous meetings with customers, and other contractors such as Shell Chemical, Turner Industries, Jacobs Engineering and PALA Interstate during the Shell AO-4 Tiger project in Geismar, LA.
◦ Worked with customers to determine scope of work, project design constraints, and project scheduling.
◦ Conducted field walks for project front end development to determine scope of work and power distribution requirements.
◦ Created detailed piping and equipment field sketches used in heat trace engineering designs.
January 2014 to March 2015
Slaughter, LA January 2014 – March 2015
Product/Design Engineer / Electrical and Mechanical Technician / Specialized Welding
* 3D CAD drawing, modeling, and stress analysis using Autodesk Inventor Professional and Solidworks.
* Produced concept, technical, and production/manufacturing drawings for fabrication projects.
* Administrative responsibilities:
◦ Coordination and scheduling of fabrication projects.
◦ Responsible for project bidding including material pricing, purchasing, labor, and shipping estimation.
◦ Creation of Excel based estimation tools, labor, material, and project databases.
* Advanced skills in general metal fabrication: Layout, fitting, welding, etc.
* Responsible for highly specialized, high profit, field automated bore welding of a steam turbine valve seat.
* Responsible for the design and fabrication of a specialized asphalt hopper for a state-of-the-art asphalt paver.
Bachelor of Science in Biological Engineering in Core
* Software: Mac OS, Windows 7, 8, and 10 operating systems, AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, Microsoft Office (Highly proficient with Excel), Visual Basic for Applications, Bluebeam Revu
* Electrical: Circuit design, component selection, soldering, troubleshooting, industrial power distribution
* Steel Fabrication: Lathe, Plasma and oxy-acetylene cutting torches, band saw, sheet metal brake, drill press, GTAW, SMAW, GMAW, automated bore welding
* Automotive: Brakes, chassis, suspension, internal engine, diesel and gasoline engine troubleshooting and repair, paint and body work
* Administrative: Engineering lead activities and scope development, Customer relations
* Estimating: Pipe fabrication, industrial heat tracing, and industrial power distribution
* Language: Native English speaker, Intermediate reading and writing skills in Spanish